Wednesday, April 27, 2011

World Wide Web

The World Wide Web has become an extremely powerful part of our world today. I remember when I first starting using the computer and I always wondered why I had to type in "WWW. " before whatever website I wanted to go to. Each year our technology seems to get better and better. When I was eight years old , my family received our first computer, and that is when I got my first screen name. We had dial up internet that we used in order to get online, (American Online, AOL). That letter lead to getting DSL internet and not having to "dial up." Now, we have internet on a cell phones, in our cars for GPS, and laptops that can be wireless, and that is in a matter of just thirteen years."The world wide web was developed to be a pool of human knowledge which would allow collaborators in remote sites to share their ideas and all aspects of a common project." I thought this was a great way to start off the article becaue it shows what the point of the WWW was and its true importance in our society today.

2 comments:

  1. You got a screen name at a really young age! Maybe it was because I didn't get one until I was about 12 years old. I remember having to use dial up too, and that was inconvenient because it would tie up phone lines. The world wide web seems to be unstoppable and I agree that it is a place for collaboration, not to mention communication. We're doing so through our online class. Forums and emails are also examples that depict that quote. I'd like to think the world wide web is as educational as it is entertaining, but it just seems as if legitimate, scholarly materials are not as easy to find online as other sources of information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting insight, and I agree completely. Looks as if our internet backgrounds are pretty similar, just as I'm pretty sure most kids in the plugged-in generation share as well. I think the internet, and the world wide web are really what define our generation above anything else. As you mentioned in your posting, everything we do today is linked in to the internet in someway, so much so that our lives would be increasingly more difficult if there were no internet. I know that my life in almost completely internet based, I am literally plugged in and dependent upon the internet now, which, makes me think if I even was able to choose this level of connectivity with something so incredibly vast.

    ReplyDelete