Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Technology and Society

Reading the article Technology and Society, at the beginning it discusses how TV has changed our world today. I completely agree with this because when I was little I rarely watched TV unless my mom was doing things around the house and she needed something to entertain me. I had stickers on my VCR player so I was able to put in Barney or Sesame Street Movies, for the most part I spent my days outside with the neighbor kids rollerblading, bike riding, and playing sports. I am currently a nanny for a seven year old girl and her life revolves around TV and technology. The second she is done with her homework and she has free time she runs right to the TV as if it is like going to Disneyland. I find it very sad that this is what our world is coming to and is relying every second on technology. Although the advancements are wonderful they do have many negative consequences such as laziness, and lack of exercise. For me, I want my kids to have all of the latest gadgets when they can prove they are able to handle them in a healthy manner, it is also very important for me to live in a neighborhood where there are a lot of children and they can all play together because that was very important in my childhood upbringing. The article discusses the analysis under three headings; versions of cause and effect in technology and society, the social history of TV and technology, the social history of the uses of television technology. I thought these three points were great and very important for our children today.

1 comment:

  1. Pink 9,

    Growing up I was exactly like you, constantly playing outside with the other kids on my street. I spent every sunny day outside being active, and never sat in front of the TV for hours. I'm pretty sure I was only allowed to watch one hour of TV a day if I even choose to. Within the past 5 or so years that atmosphere of my neighborhood has completely changed. I never see kids outside playing or doing anything outside for that matter. Everyone pretty much stays inside their houses, most likely with the TV on.

    It's not only that our society is reliant on TV and technology, we are reliant on constant stimulation. My boyfriend's little brother who is 9 is addicted to TV and technology stimulation. Every time we go see him he is watching TV or playing video games, which results in him being overweight. It is sad to me that people use TV as a babysitter, this definitely has dramatic negative consequences on their lives.

    ReplyDelete