Monday, March 21, 2011

Second Life

This article was very difficult for me to understand. In the section, "Preparing to think about Gender in Virtual Worlds," it discusses how we have approached gender in second life a post-structuralist feminist perspective. The centrality and complexity of gender in feminist research has been widely discussed. I found this to be extremly interesting. They understand gender to be performed through our actions, behaviours, and choices. Gender is achieved not given. I thought this was really interesting because I thought gender is what you are born as. Male, or Female, not something you choose to be. The article argues, "Butler argues that gender is produced and operates within a heterosexual matrix or hegemony where masculinities and femininities are produced and interpreted in this context, thus placing queer sexualities and gender identities on the margins, in the realm of the ‘other." When it comes to the social technical infrastructure, it is important to recognize that worlds such as SL are themselves the product of particular discursive practices around gender. Feminist scholars believed to have described technology as both liberating from and reinforcing of traditional gender binaries and boundaries. “To pass as a woman for any length of time requires understanding how gender inflects speech, manner, the interpretation of experience to a certain extent, this gender swapping encourages reflection on the way ideas about gender shape our expectations." I thought it was cool to see how everything revolves around gender and no matter what you are, you make up your own gender. This article was very interesting but complicated and complex

1 comment:

  1. Hello Pink9,
    I liked reading your blog. I liked how you used quotes and then referred to them with your own knowledge. A while back I also thought gender to be "male" or "female" but I did learn years ago that it is a social construction rather something that we are born with. I think that having knowledge about gender studies or even having background knowledge about this concept allows us to remove ourselves from the sterotypical view of how and what a "male" should look like and how and what a "female" should look like. It is important to know and understand that the things that society expects of a particular gender can harm people in different ways.

    ReplyDelete