Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Linked In - Facebook

http://www.allfacebook.com/study-23-percent-of-linkedin-connections-are-facebook-friends-2011-03


I thought this was a great article because this has to do with a lot of our journal entries we have been doing. The article starts out saying, " Wouldn’t post that photo of you drinking on a beach in Hawaii on your LinkedIn profile? Then you should probably think twice before posting in on Facebook." Over 64% of Facebook profiles that were analyzed in a study had atleast one employer listed as their friend. The survey had a large sample size: 5,000 MyWebCareer users were profiled and their online presences analyzed.The study also showed that LinkedIn is still primarily used to find company connections and only five percent of companies connected through first degree connections on LinkedIn also connected through Facebook friends. I heard about Linkedin once I got my internship at NBC. I only have twelve connections on it and they are all people I worked with at NBC. I hardly use it but I have searched it before to see other people who work for other companies and I emailed a girl who was interning at a company I would love to one day work for asking for advice on how to get into the company, she replied a nice email back to me and I thought it was very cool of her to do. Linkedin is definitely more professional than Facebook but I think Facebook should be treated just the same because companies are looking at those social networking accounts.

I have learned to watch out for both my Facebook and my Linkedin since I am getting ready to graduate next year, and I have even considered deleted my Facebook once I graduate because it isn't worth all the stress.

2 comments:

  1. I recently had to make a Linkedin account for my Comm 131P Persuasion and Presentation Skills class. And I do agree that it is a lot more professional than any other social networking site. I was surprised to see all of the network connection requests I received within just the first week. It really is a great way to network with people who are either trying to get a job in the same field or can help you get a job in a certain field.

    I still have my Facebook, and through my communication classes I have learned to filter out what I post and share as well as filter through the friend requests I receive. I’m very hesitant when it comes to accepting friend requests from people from work. Although, I do make certain exceptions for co-workers I consider to be good friends. It’s also helpful to have some coworkers as friends because of the immediacy of Facebook. If I ever need a shift covered or have a question about work it’s Facebook makes it’s extremely easy to reach my coworkers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pink9!

    Great post! I agree with you one hundred percent. SNS users should treat Facebook as professional as possible. Nowadays, many employers use Facebook to screen and evaluate potential job candidates. One bad profile picture and you are SOL! Unfortunately, your Fbook friends have the ability to tag you in their posts and pictures. I cannot tell you how many times my friends have tagged me in a picture that contained inappropriate content, such as profanity. Furthermore, what if a potential employer asks to be your Fbook friend?! Do you deny his or her request? What an awkward situation. I can see why Facebook can bring about unnecessary stress for its users.

    Btw, thank you for your update on LinkedIn. I have never used this SNS; however, I have heard about it on several occasions. I did not realize that it can connect me with some influential individuals. I am going to make myself a LinkedIn profile asap.

    Jay from the Bay

    ReplyDelete