Friday, February 4, 2011

Super Bowl Ad

This article discusses Super Bowl ads and this year what ad companies would like to see happen. I thought this was an interesting topic because companies spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on ad campaigns. I am not a commercial fan myself, I DVR all of my favorite shows just so I will not have to watch the commercials. Once the show has been on for a little bit I will turn it on and fast forward through every commercial. I will admit, when it comes to the Superbowl, I watch every ad, because they are usually humorous. The article discusses how last year there was still room for more commercials, and this year the space was gone by October. For only 30 seconds of air time is selling for $3 million.
Advertising is expensive, I currently work at NBC in the advertising department and a 3 minute segment is $98,000. We work on projects to get companies to advertise for certain tv shows. This has taught me a lot about the advertising world and it is not cheap.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110204/ap_on_en_ot/us_super_bowl_ads;_ylt=AnFyzRRU3vrNjNamNjIZErgjtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTJpbzIwajc5BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwMjA0L3VzX3N1cGVyX2Jvd2xfYWRzBGNwb3MDMQRwb3MDMwRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawNmdWxsbmJzcHN0b3I-

2 comments:

  1. My sister works corporate for Sleep Train and it's amazing how much money companies like this will pay for spots on the radio as well as television. She meets with radio stations every year for marketing and it is very true that people will pay a lot just to advertise. The super bowl ads are definitely catchy and usually stick around in your head for awhile. I usually just see these companies as financially able to pay for these spots, but that does not always equate to being a good company to me. I don't know that I am anymore willing to spend money or support something because they have a great commercial. An example of this is Geico insurance. That gecko will always be in my head when I think of insurance, but never when I think about good car insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find it fascinating how much money celebrities make when they endorse or appear in an ad. I don't mind commercials; I may not pay attention to them but it's nice to get a break from shows and movies every now and then. While Superbowl ads are catchy and humorous (like last year's Dorito commercial), there are times when I'll remember what the commercials are about but not the product they were trying to sell. The article mentions how advertisers have turned to social media to get their messages out. I didn't realize until I read this article how social media seems to be more useful than just keeping in touch with one another. Think of the times when you or your friends created events, causes and statuses to get other people involved...

    Do you think Superbowl ads are effective in terms of getting people to purchase their products?

    ReplyDelete