Wednesday, February 2, 2011
The Evolution of Media
I loved reading this article because I have had many issues with communicating through media lately. When sending someone a text or email it is so hard to tell the tone of the message. It can easily come off rude when you are not face to face and cannot read peoples emotions, body language, or facial expressions. My roommate is very anal, and I will always hear about it if I left something out, made a little bit of a mess, or something with the apartment isn't in place. She never seems to do this in person, she will send me a text. The text messages always come off extremely rude and I can't help but get defensive. It would be a lot easier if she could nicely just tell me in person because it is so hard to read her through text. Because of this issue whenever I am texting or emailing an important conversation I always make sure to sugar coat and say whatever it is as nice as possible and will usually use happy faces and other typing lingo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that it is sometimes hard to read people through text messaging and email. People tend to interpret emails differently depending on what kind of mood they are in. I do enjoy the convenience of email but it can lead to some misunderstandings.
ReplyDeleteWhen you talk about your roommate texting you about problems, I think that brings up another issue. I think people are becoming a little too reliant on technology and people don't talk in person as much as they used to. It is not uncommon to walk through campus and see just about every student talking on a cell phone or using some form of technology. This is not necessarily a bad thing and I am definitely guilty of doing this too, but it does make me think that maybe we depend a little too much on technology.
i hadnt thought about txt and miscommunication until reading your post, so thanks. It is so true that in person we can smile and seem concerned ect, whereas through type need to yse emotions via smiley face and sadface. At times I feel like a text doesnt warrant a sadface but a slash-line face looks angry...lol. I dont want to do either so sometimes I just txt acronyms or xoxo at the end to be less involved in the text. The WORST is when you're first getting to know someone and they mis-interpret humor or lack of humor as a bad thing via txt! I have had so many instances of that also. Thanks for the post and also your vs colors are cute!
ReplyDelete