Monday, January 31, 2011
Be Who You Want To Be
Facebook has been a rising issue recently, and I have discussed it in almost every single class in college thus far. I do feel that there is more negatives to having a Facebook than there is positives. Giving out your name, information, friends, pictures, status' and where you go to school for the world to see can do more harm than good. I will admit, Facebook is an addicting website that I am apart of and use on a daily basis. It is how I keep in touch with all of my friends, without having to pick up the phone and call or text them when their schedule may or may not be the same as mine. This article is extremely interesting because the way we are throwing out all of our personal information and our life stories for anyone to see is starting to make an impact. Once I realized how big of an issue this really was, I made all of my settings private, stopped uploading pictures from every occasion, left all of my personal information blank, like city I am in, relationship status, religion, and family members. I am extremely aware and cautious of what I put out there and I think that is what people need to do in order to protect their privacy. Articles like this are making a huge impact and they need to continue to make their point. I thought it was very interesting when the article discussed how people are sending a message with their default picture on their Facebook. It shows exactly what kind of person they are, and I think that is very true and a very interesting face that I never took into account.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Pink9 I am also private about my facebook as well. My very skeptical of adding friends that I really did know from school. Plus I think facebook has more negatives more then positives because we hear on the news about young children getting killed or raped by people who they befriend on facebook. Plus with the new layout for facebook it makes people more exposed because know you can pretty much see everything about a person. Also on another note what do think of people who post crazy pictures of themselves getting drunk and promiscuous. I find completely dumb because is do want people to think that drunk fool in real life. What are your thoughts?
ReplyDeleteHey Pink9,
ReplyDeleteI thought it as funny that the first reading of the semester was on Facebook and Privacy. Just recently I had a discussion w some friends about Facebook. Did you know that soon fb will be allowing advertisers to track your comments to friends. EVEN if your settings are on private. For instance, if you comment on your friends wall that you like so and so shampoo.. that shampoo company can view your comment and send you spam or use your comment for research or whatever. Or so I've heard.
I feel the point of having a Facebook is to keep in touch and communicate with people you know. I agree it's very important to keep certain things private because we all know that once you put something online, it stays online forever. People need to think about the repercussions before they act. Posting a party-hardy picture can ruin the chances of getting or even keeping a job. My professor said a person got fired because they took a picture with someone smoking weed in the background. That person wasn't doing it, but it didn't matter. It's also important for our safety to keep information private. I dislike how Facebook is becoming more creeper-status, i.e. "see friendship" and people can see what you wrote on someone else's wall. At least for now we can take it out.
ReplyDeleteHey there Pink9,
ReplyDeleteI also have to agree with all the ideas you mentioned on how this article discusses the impact Facebook has had on our society and our privacy online. We have also talked about Facebook in each of my classes as well and how it is used as basically an "life update" for our friends and people we communicate with to view and tht being said, sometimes we do not realize, if we have people on there that should not be able to view our profile but can, we have to go out of our way to make a profiles private in one way or the other because we are afraid of the consequences of how our actions will affect others reactions.
I also agree how we are able/have no choice to view people's status feeds and what they saw to other mutual friends. I'm always thinking, "who cares?" I do not need to know every time each individual is at one place then another and another. I feel weird knowing someone is at a specific location at a specific time. I've never done that and never plan on that because I rather spare myself having to deal with any suspicious encounters.
Great post overall!