In the article it discusses how social networking today has changed our way of communicating and expressing our emotions. I do agree with that, and especially when it comes to relationships. I see so many people who get into relationships and the first thing they do is put up a picture of them and change their "status" to in a relationship. Also, I think it is even worse when people break up, because I have noticed this numerous times where a couple will breakup and they immediately change their "status" to single, and put up obnoxious status' about what they are doing and what is going on, almost trying to brag to the person they recently broke up with. Sometimes people go too far on Facebook and get far too personal and that is not what it should be about. Facebook should be about keeping in touch with friends and family and share exciting things that are going on in your life. I thought it was very interesting to see that 80% of high school students make a Facebook before they go to college, because that is exactly right what I did when I was finishing up my senior year. I also found it to be very interesting that under Anxiety it talked about how having a Facebook could reduce stress, allowing you to communicate with your friends and other support groups is negatively correlated with perceived
life stress. And for the people who are too busy to keep up with their social life or extremely shy, it allows them to be more social when convenient for them. I know I enjoy hearing from my friends and being able to see what they are up to, and we are able to communicate when it is a good time for us.
Hey,
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you about everything you said about Facebook. Facebook is a great social site and a great way to keep intouch with friends and family. What facebook should not be used for is drama and weird annoying stuff like that! Social networking is a great thing to have but can be abused. I hate seeing the status made only to make someone else mad or even long fights taking place over facebook! I believe having something great such as a facebook is a privalge and comes with responsibility. People need to learn how to use this social networking correctly.
-SOUTHPAW
I really enjoyed reading your post. I have a friend who broke up with her boyfriend and was worried that she wasn't going to be able to change her relationship status before him. I think that breaking up is kind of personal and when changing your relationship status on Facebook it becomes very public. Also, I heard on the radio this morning that Eddie Cibrian's ex wife has taken to Twitter to argue with LeAnn Rimes, Eddie's current fiance. I think that social networking sites are so great but I don't think it is necessary to talk about private drama publicly.
ReplyDeleteI also think that Facebook is a very convenient tool. People are able to keep up their social lives whenever it is convenient for them. I too enjoy reading about what my friends are up to. Looking at their status is much easier than calling ever one of them.
RELATIONSHIP STATUS! Wow, how did I not think of that one. I haven't really had any issues with that on Facebook, however, the Myspace drama that surrounded that issue was the touchiest subject all trough my high school career. The difference, to me anyways, between Myspace and Facebook is self promotion and peer to peer connection. Myspace was all about promoting yourself, creating an identity and marketing yourself to others. Facebook is all about the connections made and keeping in touch. Either way, I completely agree with what you are saying, as well as the two people who beat me to commenting on your post, so good call. I look forward to your next one - AMB
ReplyDeleteGosh Girl four comments! This is the Blog to be reading! I thought your comment about changing status of relationships and updating photographs right away. I feel like girls do it as an acceptance tool, look what Im doing! It is for the attention. My friend met a guy online and it doesnt suprise me she has tons of pics of them up now. She is really into doing things online, and she's always telling me "go on facebook and look at the pics! " I have never updated my relationship status, I could however see myself doing it if I got married or have kids. It is ridiculous to go flaunting a guy and then break up! What a bummer, to be so outgoing and in your face, then bam, seven months later, delete all the pics and change your status to single. Thanks for pointing that out I never thought of that!
ReplyDelete